Friday 9 November 2012

Meseta

I have been holding off reflecting on the Meseta because my feelings keep changing.  Brierly calls it ¨Sublime¨  in his guide book.  Most of the pilgrims I have spoken with called it boring.  On the whole I side with Brierly.  It is like all the great Bread Baskets I suppose, certainly it took me back to Saskatchewan when I worked there.  If anyone has experience outdoors in Ukraine or Argentina it would be great to hear views.
One thing I noticed walking, in comparison to riding on a rail cart, is that places don´t approach, they almost seem to recede like a mirage.  A town you think will take half an hour to reach takes an hour or more.  One needs to stay focused on the immediate and control longing for coffee or beer.
Something that surprised me was how challenging a high wind can be in those circumstances.  There were two days of strong winds, strong enough to slow me down, even stop me in gusts, and to redirect me when I was sailing with it on the beam.  That wind left me dry, discouraged, and doubtful of my ability to continue.  I remember reading years ago that some winds seem to change the body´s chemistry a bit, and thoughts of the hot winds in North Africa and the mediterranean came back to me.  On the other hand, after two days the wind was gone and the walking was lovely.  As you can see I still haven´t arrived at a consistent, integrated view of the meseta.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps, then, you have!Holding its non-duality! From across here we are blowing warm winds to speed you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete